- TOMATO SOUP
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (14oz.)
- 3 to 4 leaves fresh basil
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- GRILLED CHEESE
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 6 slices Sargento® Sliced Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- TOMATO SOUP: In a heavy bottom sauce pan saute the onions and garlic over low to medium heat until they become translucent. Stir in the flour and cook over low heat for 4-6 minutes until a light almond color is reached.
- Slowly add the tomato juice whisking out any lumps that may form. Add crushed tomatoes and fresh basil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour in heavy cream and simmer for an additional 5 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Place in blender and pulse till smooth consistency is achieved. Season with salt and pepper. Fill 12 shooter glasses with approximately 2.5oz of soup per glass.
- GRILLED CHEESE: Heat a large griddle or two large nonstick skillets over medium-low heat. Spread butter evenly over one side of each bread slice. Place 3 slices bread, buttered side down, on griddle or in skillets.
- Layer 2 slices cheese on each slice of bread. Top with remaining bread, buttered side up. Cook 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut sandwiches into 4 strips per sandwich. Place one strip of sandwich in each shooter glass.