Black Bean Tlacoyos with Salsa Verde and SteakPrep Time: 20 MIN | Cook Time: 50 MIN | Servings: | Calories:
<p>Tlacoyos are corn flour oblong shaped patties filled with fried black beans. They are served with various toppings. From pico de gallo to shredded lettuce. These delicious tlacoyos are topped with salsa verde, a slice of Sargento® Cheese and carne asada.</p>
- Ingredients for salsa: 8 tomatillos; 2 Serrano peppers, stems removed; 1 large jalapeño, stem removed; ½ cup vegetable or chicken broth; 2 garlic cloves; ¼ piece white onion; 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped; 1 tablespoon cooking oil; 1 teaspoon
- Ingredients for tlacoyos: 1 ½ cups masa harina; ½ teaspoon salt; 1 2/3 cup warm water; 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained ;1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ pound seasoned carne asada skirt steak, sliced in strips
- 2 slices Sargento® Reserve Series™ Sliced Aged White Natural Cheddar Cheese or Sargento® Sliced Provolone Natural Cheese with Natural Smoke Flavor, cut in half
- To make Salsa:
Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add tomatillos, serranos and jalapeño; boil for 8 minutes. Discard water and transfer to a blender, add broth, garlic cloves, onion and cilantro. Blend until smooth.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Carefully pour in salsa, season with salt and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a salsa bowl. Keep warm.
- To make tlacoyos:
Combine masa harina, salt and water in a large bowl. Mix with hands until a smooth dough forms. Cover with a clean dish cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
While dough rests, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan. Add black beans and stir until heated through. Mash with a masher until a bean paste forms. Remove from heat and set aside.
Heat comal or skillet over medium-high heat.
Divide masa into 4 equal balls. Take one ball and flatten between palms of hand making a thick patty. Place 2 tablespoons black beans in the middle of patty. Fold and pinch shut making an oblong shape, flattening and keeping the beans inside until a flat football shape masa patty forms. Heat on comal or skillet about 8 minutes on each side or until masa has cooked through. Repeat with remaining masa and beans.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add seasoned steak and cook to desired doneness.
- To serve:
Place tlacoyo on a serving plate, top with salsa, half of a slice of cheese and ¼ cup steak strips. Serve.
There are currently no reviews or comments.