Stuffed Summer SquashPrep Time: 15 Min | Cook Time: 60 Min | Servings: 6 | Calories: 352
A delicious side dish for a holiday feast, these ground beef, veggie and cheese-stuffed squash look festive—and they’re very flavorful. Sargento® 4 Cheese Mexican tops them off with savory flavor.
- 6 summer squash or yellow zucchini (about 3 lb)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Sargento® Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican - Fine Cut
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400°F.
Halve summer squash lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds, leaving about 1/2 inch border intact. Set aside.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium heat; sauté garlic and onion for 3 or 4 minutes or until tender. Add green pepper and jalapeno; sauté for 3 minutes. Add beef, chili powder, salt and pepper; sauté for 4 or 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes and half of the breadcrumbs and cheese. Divide among squash halves; arrange on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until squash is tender. Sprinkle remaining breadcrumbs and cheese over squash. Bake, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until breadcrumbs are toasted and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley.
5 out of 5
I used Morning Star faux sausage crumbles in place of beef to make this vegetarian. Also sauteed some of the scooped out chopped squash to add to the filling. This was so delicious and spicy.
5 out of 5
First off, YUM. Like a healthy alternative to “American” tacos. I added some of my own spices to my liking as my family likes traditional Mexican flavors. I also removed the bell peppers and replaced with green chiles. The best part about this recipe is: on this site I didn’t have to read a 4 page article about things that I absolutely do not care about before being able to scroll to the recipe.