Bison makes a delicious & healthier choice for burgers. Served with pickled red onion, cheddar cheese & bacon – this burger is certain to become a favorite with friends & family
- 2 Red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 lb. Ground bison
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Large egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp steak sauce
- 1 tsp Steak seasoning
- 1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices Sargento Mild Cheddar Cheese Slices
- 4 Pretzel buns
- 4 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 8 Slices Peppered bacon, cooked
- Combine onion, vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Cover and let stand for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine bison, breadcrumbs, egg, 1 Tbsp of steak sauce, seasoning & pepper in a medium bowl. Cover & chill for 15 minutes. Shape mixture into 4 patties slightly larger than the buns they’re going to be served on.
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Cook patties on well-greased grill for 3 minutes per side or until cooked to your liking. Top each patty with cheese just before removing from the grill.
- Cook buns on same grill for 1 to 2 minutes until toasted and grill marks appear.
- To assemble the burgers: Drain the onion from its pickling liquid. Place bun halves on boards or plates. Add lettuce, patties, bacon, extra steak sauce and pickled onion; replace bun tops.