This cheesy dip will make you feel like you are eating your favorite bacon cheeseburger in dip form. The flavorful bun chips are a great way to use leftover buns.
- SPECIAL SAUCE BUN CHIPS:
- 1/4 cup Half & half
- 1 ea. Leftover hamburger patty, cooked and chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup Red onion, diced
- 3 slices Cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 cups Sargento® Shredded 4 State Cheddar® Cheese
- 2 cups Sargento® Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 5 ea. Sliced Pickles, chopped
- 1/2 cup Shredded iceburg lettuce
- 1/2 tsp Beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup Water
- 4 ea. Sesame seed buns
- 1/3 cup Prepared thousand island dressing
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- FOR SESAME BUN CHIPS:
- Flatten each bun half using a can or the bottom of a plate or skillet. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together dressing, ketchup, mustard and garlic powder.
- Spread special sauce over cut side of flattened bun halves. Set aside remaining sauce to use on the dip.
- Toast bun halves over warm coals until crisp and golden brown. Cut each half into quarters. Transfer to a plate or basket. Set aside until ready to serve.
- FOR DIP:
- Pre-heat a seasoned 8" cast iron skillet over a medium hot fire. Add butter and melt completely. Stir in flour. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring after a minute.
- Add bouillon granules to water and add to pan. Add half & half and stir or whisk until mixture is smooth. Stir in chopped hamburger, onions and bacon. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese 1 cup at a time, letting the cheese melt in before each addition.
- When cheese is completely melted, stir in pickles and remove pan from heat.
- TO SERVE:
- Spoon reserved special sauce on top of dip. Pile shredded lettuce into center of dip. Top with chopped tomato and serve with special sauce bun chips.