Not only are these panini delicious, they’re also filled with a handmade fig jam made with chopped dried figs and apple cider using our expert recipe. The layers of smoky ham and Sargento® Sliced Baby Swiss Cheese melt just right to create artisanal and mouthwatering panini.
- 2 cups (10 oz.) coarsely chopped stemmed dried figs
- 2/3 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 4 slices Sargento® Sliced Baby Swiss Cheese
- 4 slices marble rye bread
- 4 thin slices deli smoked ham or honey ham
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- For fig jam, combine figs and apple cider in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until most of the liquid is absorbed and figs are tender, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly; transfer to a food processor and puree. Transfer mixture to a jar; refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 2 weeks. Makes about 1-1/3 cups jam.
- Arrange 1 slice of cheese over each slice of bread; top with ham. Close sandwiches; spread outsides evenly with butter.
- Cook sandwiches in a preheated panini maker or skillet iron until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.* Serve each sandwich with 2 tablespoons jam for dipping or spreading inside. Reserve remaining jam to serve on toast or sliced fresh fruit.