<p>Nothing beats a hearty homemade beef pot pie for a St. Patrick’s Day meal. Nothing except an Irish stout braised beef potpie topped with Sargento® Reserve Series™ 18 Month Aged Cheddar then topped with a flaky aged cheddar crust that is.</p>
- 2 lbs. Boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1” pieces
- ¼ cup Flour
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups Frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 3 med. Potatoes, peeled and cubed(1 ½ cups)
- 8 ea. Baby carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks Celery, chopped
- 2 tsp. Dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tsp. Dried thyme
- 16 ozs. Irish stout beer
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups Sargento® Reserve Series™ 18 Month Aged Cheddar, divided
- 2 Sheets Frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 lg. Egg, beaten
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add pieces of short rib and toss until beef is coated with flour. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pre-heat a heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium heat. Add floured beef and cook for 10-15 minutes, turning beef as it browns, until all sides are browned. Transfer beef to a bowl and let rest.
- Add onions and next 5 ingredients to the dutch oven and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often until celery and carrots are softened. Stir in browned beef and stout. Cover and transfer to pre-heated oven. Cook for 1.75 hours.
- Meanwhile, for puff pastry, cut both sheets of puff pastry into 4 squares each. Brush each square with egg, then sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of cheese over each of the 4 squares. Top with remaining pastry squares, then crimp edges to seal. Cut 2 slits in the top of each square. Set aside.
- To assemble pot pies: Remove pot from oven, then turn up heat to 425 degrees. Fill 4 individual casserole dishes with braised beef mixture. Divide ½ cup of cheese on top of filling. Place reserved puff pastry squares over cheese and filling. Brush tops of puff pastry with egg, then sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese on top of crust. Transfer dishes to a large sheet pan, then place in oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and cheese is nicely toasted. Remove from oven and serve.