The flavors in this sandwich are exactly what your next cookout needs. Grilled Italian sausage is joined by a combination of onions, peppers and pasta sauce that is simmered and used to top off each sandwich along with a helping of Sargento® Shredded 6 Cheese Italian for authentic home-style flavor.
- 4 (6-inch) Italian sausages
- 4 (6-inch) submarine sandwich rolls
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 red or green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) Sargento® Shredded 6 Cheese Italian
- Place sausages on preheated grill or under broiler. Grill or broil sausages 4 inches from heat until cooked through, 5 minutes per side.
- Cut rolls lengthwise in half, without cutting all the way through. Place rolls, split side down, on preheated grill, or split side up on broiler pan, during final 2 minutes of sausage cooking time.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add peppers and onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in pasta sauce. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place sausages in rolls; top with pepper mixture and cheese.