Cheesy Yuca Arepas (Arepas de Yuca)Prep Time: 30 MIN | Cook Time: 10 MIN | Servings: | Calories:
<p>Arepas are Colombia’s quintessential breakfast. These are made with Yuca. Using a combination of Sargento® Grated Parmesan Natural Cheese and Sargento® Shredded Mozzarella Natural Cheese adds the perfect balance of smooth and salty to the mixture. To spruce these arepas up, serve with slices of avocado, or ripe tomatoes in the summer.<br><br></p>
- 4 pounds frozen peeled yuca, thawed overnight in the refrigerator
- 8 ounces Sargento® Grated Parmesan
- 10 ounces Sargento® Shredded Mozzarella Natural Cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- non stick cooking spray
- butter for serving
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut yuca into pieces 2-3” long & 1” thick and place in a large pot. Fill pot with enough water to cover yuca and more to account for evaporation. Add a few pinches of salt. Bring water to a boil and cook until yuca is soft when pierced with a knife but still holds its shape (approximately 20 to 25 min.)
- Drain and allow the steam to evaporate for a few minutes. Carefully (with the help of a fork) remove any strands or stringy fibers. While still warm, transfer yuca to a stand mixer with a paddle attachment and process until it turns into a smooth puree, stopping in between to scrape off the sides making sure everything gets mixed. Add the parmesan, salt, sugar and oil. Continue mixing until a smooth dough comes together (approximately 5 min.)
- Taste and add any additional salt if necessary.
- Remove from the mixer and divide yuca dough into 16 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball first, flatten to about 1” thick and, with your thumb, create a well in the middle. Add 1 tablespoon of mozzarella and start closing while rotating the dough in your hands to create a 1/2 inch disc.
- Place a seasoned cast iron skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with non-stick spray and ,working in batches, place 3 to 4 arepas at a time into the skillet. Cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining arepas and serve warm with a little butter.
There are currently no reviews or comments.