Put this appetizer together using flaked crabmeat and fine herbs along with Sargento® Light Ricotta Cheese and other spices to create a smooth texture that includes green onions, eggs and more. This mixture bakes to an ideal texture and is served chilled to spread on crackers, toast and fresh vegetables.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 container (15 oz.) Sargento® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. fines herbs (found in the spice section of many supermarkets)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (6 oz.) crab meat, drained and flaked or 1-1/2 cups shredded surimi seafood
- 1/2 cup (2 large) thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- In small skillet, cook onion and garlic in margarine until tender, about 5 minutes; cool.
- In bowl of electric mixer, combine Ricotta cheese, half-and-half, flour, fines herbes, salt and pepper; blend until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time; blend until smooth. Stir in crab meat, green onions, Parmesan cheese and cooled onion mixture; mix well.
- Lightly grease sides of 8 or 9-inch springform pan; pour batter into pan. Bake at 350°F 40 minutes or until center is just set. Remove to wire cooling rack; loosen cake from rim of pan with metal spatula. Cool to room temperature, or chill if made ahead. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Spread on assorted crackers, fresh vegetables or French bread slices.
- Tip: Serve with crostini's on the side if desired. (Cut a baguette in thin slices, brush with butter or olive oil and sprinkle with pepper and Parmesan & Romano cheese. Toast under broiler for 5 minutes or until golden brown.)