This tender, soft challah bread recipe is full-flavored and full of cheese thanks to Sargento® Shredded Mozzarella Cheese.
- 1 cup Warm water (105-110 degrees)
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
- 2 tsp. Fine salt
- 1 envelope(7g.) Instant yeast
- 2 lg. Eggs
- 3 lg. Egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp. Olive or vegetable oil
- 4 ½ cups Bread flour
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. Fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 cups Sargento® Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 1 lg. Egg, beaten
- In a small bowl, combine water and next 3 ingredients. Let rest for 10-15 minutes to activate yeast.
- In the bowl of a large stand mixer with a bread hook attachment, combine eggs, yolk, oil, flour, parsley, rosemary, garlic and 1 ½ cups of cheese. Mix on low speed to combine ingredients.
- Add reserved yeast mixture. Mix on medium low speed for about 10 minutes or until dough comes away from sides of bowl and is somewhat firm to the touch.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl coated with oil. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Place in a cool oven. Set oven to 170 degrees for 1 minute, then turn off oven. Leave oven door closed. Proof for 1 ½ hours or until doubled in size.
- Remove bowl of dough from oven. Roll dough into a 14” X 12” rectangle. Divide dough in half, then cut each half into 3 / 2” wide strips. Roll each piece into a 12-14” long rope. Connect one end of three ropes together. Braid dough and tuck in each end. Repeat with remaining 3 strips of dough.
- Place braided loaves on a large, parchment lined baking sheet. Spray one side of a large piece of plastic wrap with non-stick spray and cover dough. Place baking sheet in oven and let proof for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. While oven is pre-heating, gently brush dough with egg, then sprinkle remaining cheese over entire loaf.
- Return baking sheet to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Cut into slices and serve with softened butter.