Spicy Southwest Smash BurgerPrep Time: 45 Min | Cook Time: 15 Min | Servings: | Calories:
<p>Two smash burgers are topped with Sargento® Pepper Jack Cheese Slices, fresh guacamole, spicy pickled red onion, chipotle mayo, shredded lettuce and sliced tomato on a grilled brioche bun.</p>
- FOR PICKLED RED ONION:
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large Red onion, cut into strips
- 1 large Jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, smashed
- FOR GUACAMOLE:
- 1 lg. Avocado, halved, pit removed
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 med. Lime, cut in half
- 2 tsp. Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- FOR SMASH BURGERS:
- 1 tsp. Ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Mild chili powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 2 lbs. Gound beef
- 4 ea. Brioche buns, split
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, softened
- 2 cups Lettuce, shredded
- 8 slices Tomato
- 1/2 cup Chipotle mayo
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir, then bring to a boil over medium heat. Add red onion, red pepper flakes and garlic. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and let onions cool in saucepan for 1 hour. Drain through a strainer, transfer to a container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Scoop avocado out of each shell with a large spoon. Place cut side down on a cutting board and cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1 inch chunks. Transfer to a medium size bowl. Add jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, and salt. Mash with a potato masher to desired texture. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Form ground beef into ¼ lb. balls. Place burgers on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Sprinkle seasoning over burger balls, then roll balls in remaining seasoning until all seasoning is on burger balls. Flatten slightly with a spatula. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes while grilling buns.
- Pre-heat a large cast iron pan or frying pan over medium-low heat. Spoon a tablespoon of butter into pan and move pan around so butter coats bottom of pan. Add 2 tops and 2 bottoms of buns cut side down into pan. Grill for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer buns to a plate and repeat with remaining butter and buns. Set buns aside until ready to assemble.
- Pre-heat the same pan used for grilling buns to medium heat. Place one burger ball in pan slightly off-center. Using a flat metal spatula and a metal salt shaker or ramekin, flatten burger in pan. Gently rotate spatula while removing from burger. Repeat with 1 more burger. Cook for 1 minute or until juices are coming out of burger. Flip burger and cook an additional 30 seconds. Add 1 slice of cheese. Cook for another 15 seconds. Transfer burgers to a tray and repeat cooking process with remaining burgers and cheese.
- Put all ingredients on the counter. Place 4 bun bottoms on a clean flat surface. Spread a mounded teaspoon of chipotle mayo on each bun bottom. Sprinkle about 1/3 cup of shredded lettuce over mayo. Place 2 tomato slices over lettuce. Place one cheeseburger over tomato. Place about 1/3 cup of pickled red onion/jalapeno mixture over cheeseburger. Place another cheeseburger over red onion. Spread about ¼ cup of guacamole on grilled side of bun top. Place on top of cheeseburger.
5 out of 5
This was sooo good and very detailed and good description!