<p>There are lots of ways to jazz up macaroni and cheese. This recipe, inspired by Tex-Mex flavors, features chorizo, fresh cilantro and a serrano chili. Adding a rich depth of cheesiness is Sargento® Reserve Series™ 18-Month Aged Cheddar and 14-Month Aged Parmesan. It’s a dish your family will request again and again.</p>
- 1 lb. Cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente
- 3 cups Sargento® Reserve Series™ 18-Month Aged Cheddar
- 1/2 cup Sargento® Reserve Series™ 14-Month Aged Parmesan
- 4 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cup dried Spanish Chorizo, chopped
- 2 tsp. serrano chili, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk slowly and cook for 3 minutes. Add the dry mustard and salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and add in 2 cups of Sargento® Reserve Series™ 18-Month Aged Cheddar Cheese and Sargento® Reserve Series™ 14-Month Aged Parmesan Cheese and stir until smooth.
- Add the pasta, chorizo Serrano chili, chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper and pour into a 2 quart baking dish and top with remaining Sargento® Reserve Series™ 18-Month Aged Cheddar Cheese. Place into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Garnish dish with remaining chopped cilantro