Appetizer & Sides
Potato & Bacon ChowderPrep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 25 min | Servings: 4 | Calories: 374
Every spoonful of this velvety chowder delivers incredibly mouthwatering flavors from crispy applewood smoked bacon in a mixture of sautéed onions mixed with tender boiled potato cubes cooked with Sargento® Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese in a chicken broth and topped springy chopped chives.
- 2 thick slices bacon, preferably applewood smoked, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 large baking (russet) potato, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (1-1/2 to 2 cups)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1-3/4 cups (7 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped chives, thyme or parsley (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a paper towel; set aside.
- Cook onion in drippings in same saucepan 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, milk, potato, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Turn off heat; add 1-1/2 cups cheese, stirring until melted.* Ladle into shallow bowls; top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and reserved bacon. Garnish with chives, if desired.
5 out of 5
This recipe is outstanding and easy to make. My wife makes a potato soup recipe that she got from my mother almost 50 yrs. ago (telling my age) and this Sargento chowder is as good if not better, thank you and keep up the good work!