Appetizer & Sides
Cheesy Apple SquaresPrep Time: 25 min | Cook Time: 40 min | Servings: 18 | Calories: 392
<p>Sargento® Mild Cheddar Cheese pairs so well with tart Granny Smith apples in these crumbly, delicious bars. Cinnamon, nuts, brown sugar and graham crackers add cozy flavors in the crust and topping. </p>
- 1-1/2 cups fine graham crackers crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese - Traditional Cut
- 3 (3-1/2 cups) medium Granny Smith, or other cooking apples, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, flour, brown sugar and baking soda in large bowl; mix well. Cut butter into mixture, using a pastry blender or two knives, until crumbly. Transfer 1-1/2 cups mixture to medium bowl, set aside.
- Pat remaining crumbs into ungreased 13x9-inch baking dish and top with cheese. In medium bowl, combine apples, sugar and cinnamon; mix well and spread over cheese. Mix reserved crumb mixture with walnuts and sprinkle over apple mixture.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven 40 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool; cut into squares and serve.
5 out of 5
This is it!! Whenever I make this recipe, I'm asked for the recipe. My mom had cut this recipe from a newspaper when I was a girl and over the years it tore and I lost half of it. After searching online I found it here. Funny, I've always used Sargento cheese especially for this recipe except the slices instead of shreds. Make this! But be prepared, you will be asked for the recipe. I was even asked at a funeral reception!