Each slice of this amazing Mexican casserole is full of enchilada flavors from seasoned ground beef in red chili sauce. The layers of hearty tortillas sprinkled with perfectly melting Sargento® Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican - Traditional Cut and served with an egg cooked sunny-side up and shredded iceberg lettuce looks and tastes great.
- 1-1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2-3 oz. red chili powder (to taste)
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 6 cups (24 oz.) Sargento® Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican - Traditional Cut
- 18 corn tortillas (5 to 6-inch diameter)
- 8 eggs, cooked sunny-side up
- Shredded iceberg lettuce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brown ground meat; add onion and garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
- For sauce, melt butter in saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour and cook until bubbling. Slowly add red chili powder and milk, stirring constantly until smooth and slightly thickened, and to desired taste. Keep warm and set aside.
- Begin casserole assembly with 1/3 cup red chili sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Be sure that the sauce covers the bottom of the pan evenly. Layer 6 corn tortillas on sauce, overlapping slightly. Top tortillas with another 1/3 cup sauce. Add 1/3 of meat mixture. Top with 2 cups cheese. Repeat layering 2 more times, ending with cheese on top.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until bubbly. 5-10 minutes before casserole comes out of the oven, start preparing eggs, sunny-side up. Place 1 egg on top of each serving. Serve with lettuce, if desired.