Fried Fish Po BoysPrep Time: 30 MIN | Cook Time: 10 MIN | Servings: | Calories:
<p>Crispy, flaky fish filets shine when nestled between toasted hoagie buns, layered with fresh toppings, and paired with a spicy homemade rémoulade for an extra kick. For this classic po boy, the filets are double dredged in a mixture of cornmeal and flour to ensure the ideal texture, and Sargento® Sliced Havarti Natural Cheese is added for an additional touch of creaminess.</p>
- For the remoulade: ½ cup mayonnaise; 2 Tbsp dill pickle relish; ½ tsp lemon juice; ½ tsp ketchup; ½ tsp hot sauce; ¼ tsp creole seasoning; ¼ tsp black pepper; ¼ tsp horseradish; ¼ tsp Dijon mustard; ¼ tsp minced garlic; ¼ tsp red cayenne pepper
- For the fish: 1 cup fine-ground cornmeal; ¼ cup all-purpose flour; 1 Tbsp creole seasoning; 2 large eggs; 1 lb cod fish filet, halved; 1 tsp salt; 1 tsp black pepper; 2 tsp oregano
- 2 cups cooking oil; 4 slices Sargento® Sliced Havarti Natural Cheese; 2 fresh French rolls or hoagies, toasted; ½ cup shredded lettuce; 1 large tomato sliced; ¼ cup sliced dill pickles
- For the remoulade sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, relish, lemon juice, ketchup, hot sauce, creole seasoning, pepper, horseradish, Dijon mustard, paprika, garlic, and cayenne pepper until thoroughly combined. Set to the side.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, and creole seasoning. In a second medium bowl, whisk eggs.
- Season fish evenly with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Dredge the fish fillets into the egg mixture, then toss them into the cornmeal mixture and coat them evenly. Place the fish back in the egg mixture, then the flour mixture. Repeat the dredging process with the remaining fillets. Refrigerate fish for 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet oven, heat cooking oil over medium-high heat to 375°F (190°C). Place fish into hot cooking oil for 4-5 minutes on each side. The fish should be golden brown.
- Transfer fried fish to a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet to cool. Immediately layer fish with 2 slices of Sargento® Sliced Havarti Natural Cheese. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- To serve, split and layer the bottom hoagie roll with shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, and pickles before topping it with fried fish, then remoulade sauce. Serve immediately.
- Notes: Make sure the oil is hot before adding fish to it. Dredging your fish in the egg and flour mixture twice (double dredging) creates an extra crunchy, yet light texture. Allowing the dredged fish to cool in the refrigerator before frying allows the coating to set and adhere properly, which aids in frying.
There are currently no reviews or comments.