<p>This comforting soup is traditionally served for breakfast in the central branch of the Andes mountains of Colombia and it is a heartwarming way to start the day. A great trick to have perfectly poached eggs is to strain them in a small colander to remove the excess liquid. It adds a step but works like a charm. Sargento® Mozzarella Natural Cheese, cut into cubes adds the perfect texture and richness to this recipe.</p>
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups water
- 6 cilantro stems with leaves, plus 1/4 cup chopped leaves for serving
- 3 scallions, trimmed and split in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- 6 oz Sargento® Mozzarella Natural Cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 slices day old sourdough bread, toasted and torn into 1” pieces
- Heat milk and water in a medium pot. Add the cilantro, scallions and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer, making sure the milk doesn’t boil over.
- Crack an egg in a small strainer over a bowl in order to remove the excess watery egg white. Gently slide it into the simmering soup. Repeat with each egg. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- To serve, divide bread and cheese into soup bowls. Using a slotted spoon, lift the poached eggs and place into the bowls with the bread and cheese. Ladle in the milk broth discarding cilantro stems and scallions and garnish with cilantro leaves.