This classic French sandwich combines pan-fried ham slices, baby spinach, white sauce, a fried egg and Sargento® Sliced Swiss Cheese. Except this version is made for eating with your hands.
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 3 Tbsp. Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices Cured ham, cut into ¼” thick slices
- 1 tsp. Vegetable oil
- 12 slices Sargento® Swiss Cheese Slices, divided
- 1 cup Baby spinach
- 4 lg. Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Butter, softened
- 8 slices Brioche or Texas toast, toasted
- For White Sauce: Pre-heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add butter. When butter stops foaming, add flour and stir until mixture forms a thin paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in milk until smooth. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove from heat, cover and set aside while preparing ham.
- For Ham: Pre-heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add oil, then place ham slices in a single layer. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip slices with a fork or tongs. Fry an additional 2-3 minutes. Or until golden brown. Transfer ham to a plate and set aside.
- For Fried Eggs: Pre-heat a small non-stick pan, over medium heat. Crack egg into a small bowl, then gently slide egg into pan. Add a small amount of butter and swirl until butter goes under egg. Cook for 1 minute. Carefully flip egg with a spatula. Cook an additional 30 seconds or until cooked to desired doneness. Transfer egg to a plate sprayed with non-stick spray and set aside. Repeat with remaining eggs and butter.
- To Finish Sandwiches: Place 4 slices of toasted bread on a baking sheet. Place 1 slice of cheese on top of each piece of toast. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of sauce over cheese and spread with a knife to cover entire surface. Place about 6 spinach leaves over sauce. Place 2 slices of fried ham over spinach. Spoon another 2 tablespoons of white sauce over ham. Top each with 2 slices of cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until hot and lightly browned. Transfer to plates, top each sandwich with a fried egg and a slice of toasted bread. Cut in half and serve.