Light and airy popovers are a fabulous treat for any time of the day. Add Sargento® Shredded Cheese, spices and herbs to the basic popover recipe for a delightfully simple, yet unique twist to this British classic.
- 1 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3 lg. Eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Generously spray the cups of a popover pan with non-stick spray.
- Add milk to a medium sized bowl. Add flour and salt. Whisk until well blended.
- Stir in eggs one at a time, beating in each until blended before adding the next egg.
For Bacon Cheddar Popovers: Add 1 cup of Sargento® Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese and 3 tablespoons of finely chopped bacon to batter.
For Italian Popovers: Add 1 cup of Sargento® Shredded 6 Cheese Italian and 1 teaspoon each of chopped fresh parsley, basil and rosemary to batter.
For Mexican Popovers: Add 1 cup of Sargento® Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican, 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh jalapeno pepper, 1 teaspoon of chili powder and ½ teaspoon of ground cumin to batter.
- Pour batter into popover pans, filling three-fourths full. Place popover pan on a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Do not open oven during baking. Immediately reduce temperature to 325 degrees and bake an additional 20 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven and pierce the top of each popover with a knife to allow steam to escape.
- Transfer popovers to a cooling rack and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve topped with additional cheese if desired. Makes 6 popovers.