This recipe makes it possible for you to create your very own savory appetizer bites that are filled with notes from smoky bacon and zesty Cheddar. With Sargento® Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese - Fine Cut, you will be pleased with how gorgeous these puffs will come out once they’re baked to golden perfection.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese - Fine Cut
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp. onion salt or powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- PUFF FILLING:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup Sargento® Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese - Fine Cut
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 24 ea. prepared bacon cheddar puffs
- 12 ea. grape tomatoes, halved
- 12 ea. arugula leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine milk and butter in medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is simmering.
- Add flour all at once; continue to cook, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon, until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat.
- Beat in 1 egg until mixture is smooth. Repeat with remaining eggs, adding just 1 egg at a time, beating until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop heaping teaspoons of mixture onto greased baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- PUFF FILLING:
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, dill, chives and salt, until well blended.
- ASSEMBLE PUFFS:
- Cut the tops off of the puffs, setting them next to the bottoms to use later.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of herbed cheese mixture into the bottom of each puff.
- Press one grape tomato half into each cheese filled puff. Then, top with one piece of arugula.
- Replace puff tops over arugula. Serve on a plate or platter as an appetizer.