<p>This sweet and savory twist on a traditional mushroom and Sargento® Creamery Sliced Baby Swiss Natural Cheese cheeseburger is a sure crowd pleaser at your next cookout or gameday tailgate. Top the burger with caramelized onions and bacon jam for the perfect combination of deliciousness.</p>
- Onion Bacon Jam: 2 slices thick cut bacon; 1 yellow onion, finely diced; 1 Tbsp brown sugar; 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar,
- Burgers: 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef; salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices Sargento® Creamery Sliced Baby Swiss Natural Cheese
- 4 pretzel buns
- 1 bunch of arugula leaves
- Mushroom and onions: 4 Tbsp butter; 1 yellow onion, sliced; 1 lb mushrooms sliced, bella or button mushrooms work well; 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Onion Bacon Jam:
In a non stick fry pan place bacon and heat to medium heat. Once the bacon fat starts to render, add onion and 1T butter. Stir to combine. Continue cooking and stirring so onions and bacon do not burn. Once the onions soften and become translucent, add the vinegar and brown sugar. Stir continuously to keep the mixture from burning on. Once the mixture reaches a sticky jam consistency, remove from pan. Reserve for later.
* onion bacon jam can be made a day or two ahead and kept refrigerated until use
Pre heat grill to medium high heat or 400-450 degrees. Form beef into 4x 1” thick patties. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside. When grill is preheated, cook burgers to desired temp. About 4 minutes on each side for medium doneness. Add two slices Sargento Creamery Sliced® Baby Swiss Cheese to each patty. Remove from grill, cover and set aside to rest. Lightly toast insides of buns and set aside.
- Mushroom and onions:
Heat a nonstick fry pan to medium. Add onion and 3T butter. Stir to combine. Continue cooking and stirring so onions do not burn. Once the onions start to soften and become fragrant add vinegar and mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook until mushrooms start to turn color and soften. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Assemble burgers. Smear the bottom of each bun with bacon jam and top with arugula. Add a cheese burger on top then add herbed mushrooms over the cheese burger and top with bun. Enjoy.