<p><span>This gourmet grilled cheese sandwich is a delightful and sophisticated twist on the classic grilled cheese sandwich, perfect for a fancy lunch or a cozy dinner. This recipe combines the rich flavors of ham, the sweetness of ripe pears, and the subtle earthiness of figs, all enveloped in a crispy, Sargento® Shredded Parmesan Natural Cheese crust. Enjoy this delightful creation with a side salad or a bowl of warm soup for a complete and satisfying meal.</span></p>
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 12 slices french bread
- 1 lb deli cut ham slices
- 2 pkgs Sargento® Reserve Series™ Sliced Aged White Natural Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup fig spread
- 2 ripe pears, sliced
- 2 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 1 cup Sargento® Shredded Parmesan Natural Cheese
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter until melted.
- Spread the butter onto each slice of bread. On the non-buttered side of the 6 “bottom” slices, layer sliced cheddar cheese, sliced pears, and another layer of cheddar cheese. Spread fig jam on top of the cheese. Season with a pinch of salt. Close the sandwiches with the top pieces of bread, butter side up. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of parmesan cheese on outside of the top layer of bread.
- Heat a 12” skillet over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to generously coat the bottom. Once hot, gently transfer 3 of the sandwiches to the skillet, parmesan cheese side down. Cook until crisp and golden on one side, 2 minutes or so. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of parmesan cheese on the top of the sandwich and, using a spatula, gently flip the sandwich. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for another
couple of minutes, or until the second side is crisp and golden, and the cheese is melted.
- Cook the remaining 3 sandwiches the same way. Enjoy!