<p><span>The Gourmet Caprese Grilled Cheese is a delicious and satisfying option for lunch or a quick dinner. It pairs well with a side salad or a bowl of soup for a complete and comforting meal. Enjoy this elevated take on the classic grilled cheese sandwich that brings a taste of Italy to your plate.</span></p>
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and oregano sprigs. Let the butter melt. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the garlic is toasted. Turn off the heat. Mix in the olive oil.
- Brush the garlic butter onto each slice of bread. Onto the “bottom” slices, evenly distribute the shredded mozzarella. Layer the tomatoes next. Season with a pinch of salt. Layer the remaining mozzarella next. Season with another pinch of salt. Lastly, layer the basil leaves. Close the sandwiches with the top pieces of bread.
- Heat a 12” skillet over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to generously coat the bottom. Once hot, gently transfer 3 of the sandwiches to the skillet. Cook until crisp and golden on one side, 2 minutes or so.
- Drizzle a little more olive oil over the sandwiches. Use a spatula to gently flip them over. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for another couple of minutes, or until the second side is crisp and golden, and the cheese is melted. Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
- Cut the sandwiches in half. Top with a pinch of salt and more fresh basil.