<p>Game day means time for fun appetizers to enjoy while watching your favorite team. These football themed empanadas are cut into football shapes and stuffed with cooked ground beef, diced onion, chopped pickles, crumbled bacon and Sargento® Shredded Cheddar Cheese. </p>
- 2 ea. 9 inch Refrigerated pie dough
- 1 small Yellow onion
- 1/2 lb. Ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 1/2 cups Sargento® Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Crumbled bacon
- 1/3 cup Finely chopped pickled
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 lg. Egg, beaten
- 1 cup Prepared thousand island dressing
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Remove pie dough from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature while preparing filling.
- Cut about ½ inch slice from the end of the onion, then cut the slice into thin pieces. These will be used to make the laces of the football empanadas later. Set aside. Dice remaining onion and add to a medium bowl.
- Add cooked and crumbled ground beef and next 5 ingredients. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Unwrap pie dough and unroll on a clean, flat surface. Using a 4” football shaped cookie cutter or cardboard template, cut 8 football shapes from each pie dough round. Remove excess dough, roll into a ball and save for another use.
- Place 8 football cutouts onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment or foil. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of filling onto the center of each football cutout. Brush one side of each remaining cutout with egg using a pastry brush.
- Carefully place egg side down over each filling topped football, making sure to filling from falling out.
- Seal each football with the tip of a knife or the tined of a fork. Brush the top of each empanada with egg.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with dressing on the side for dipping.