Appetizer & Sides
Tortilla Soup & Mexican CheesePrep Time: 20 Min | Cook Time: 35 Min | Servings: 6 | Calories: 577
<p>This soup recipe combines flavors minced garlic, chopped tomato, onion and tomato paste into a chicken broth with garnishes like tortilla chips, slices of creamy sliced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro and Sargento® Shredded Authentic Mexican Cheese.</p>
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder*
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 6 corn tortillas, torn or cut into small pieces
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Authentic Mexican Cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, cut into slices or chunks
- 1 cup broken tortilla chips or fried corn tortilla strips
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 6 lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in tortillas, chili powder and cumin; cook 3 minutes, stirring once. Add tomato and tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Transfer 1/3 of soup to a blender container. Cover; hold a pot holder over cover to keep hot soup from popping the cover off. Blend until soup is pureed; transfer to 2 warmed shallow serving bowls. Repeat twice with remaining soup. Garnish with cheese, avocado, tortilla chips and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
There are currently no reviews or comments.