<p>This version piles meatballs simmered in marinara sauce on a long French bread with sauteed peppers, onions and mushrooms. Topped with plenty of Sargento® Creamery Provolone Cheese Slices.</p>
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 med. Yellow onion, cut into strips
- 1 med. Green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 8 ozs. Fresh mushrooms, , washed, dried & thinly sliced
- 1 bag Frozen Italian style meatballs, thawed (about 30 ozs.)
- 1 jar (24 ozs.) Prepared marinara sauce
- 1 ea. French bread loaf, cut lengthwise ¾ through
- 1 pkg. Sargento® Creamery Provolone Cheese Slices
- Pre-heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, then add onion, pepper and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are crisp tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Return pan to heat.
- Add meatballs and sauce to pan. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are heated through. Open up French bread like a book and spoon meatballs down center of bread.
- Spoon additional sauce over meatballs. Spread onion, pepper and mushroom mixture evenly over sauce and meatballs. Set oven to low broil.
- Place cheese slices down center over vegetables. Place sub on a large sheet of aluminum foil and broil in oven for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Transfer to a long cutting board and cut into sections. Serve.