<p>This classic cheeseburger is loaded with cheese, on the inside that is. Then it’s topped with caramelized onions and crispy bacon and served on a grilled pretzel bun. Yes please!</p>
- 2 med. Yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 tsp. Brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 28 ozs. Ground chuck or sirloin
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 ½ cups Sargento® Creamery Mild Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 8 strips Bacon, cooked
- 4 ea. Pretzel buns, split
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For Onions: Pre-heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add half of butter. When butter has melted completely, add onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until onions start to brown. Stir in brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often until well browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- While onions are cooking, prepare burgers by dividing meat evenly into four balls(7 ozs. each). Place balls on a large baking sheet lined with wax paper. Press each ball into a flat round patty about ½” thick. Mound about 1/3 cup of cheese in the center of each patty. Fold the sides of the meat in toward the center, pressing the meat together. Gently press the patty into an evenly shaped patty, making sure all cheese is inside the meat and none is showing. Set aside until onions are done caramelizing.
- Prepare buns by buttering the cut side of each bun with butter. Grill each bun in the pan the onions were cooked in over medium heat until golden brown. Transfer buns to plates and set aside.
- For Burgers: Keep pan used for onions and buns on medium heat. Add cheese filled patties and cook for 2-3 minutes or until well browned. Flip burgers with a spatula. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until browned. Transfer burgers to a plate and set aside. Add cooked onions back to the pan, add water and stir onions to loosen any browned bits. Spread onions over entire bottom of pan. Reduce heat to low, then place burgers back in pan over onions. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until cheese just starts to seep out of burger. Transfer burgers to bun bottoms. Stir onions and spoon over burgers. Top each with 4 halves of bacon. Finish with bun top and serve.