<p><span>Upgrade your comfort food go-to with Southern Style Mac and Cheese. Made with Sargento® Cheddar and Cajun seasoning, it’s super creamy with a hint of spice!</span></p>
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups (16 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese - Traditional Cut, divided
- 4 cups (16 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese - Traditional Cut
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Mozzarella - Traditional Cut, divided
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sausage
- 2 tsp. cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Add milk and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in 3 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese and all of the Mild Cheddar Cheese until melted.
- Stir in cooked macaroni, diced green pepper, diced tomatoes, chopped sausage and add cajun seasoning to taste.
- Spread 4 cups macaroni mixture into two 8 or 9-inch baking dishes or pans. Layer 1 cup shredded mozzarella over macaroni. Repeat layering with 4 cups macaroni mixture, and remaining 1 cup mozzarella. Spread remaining macaroni mixture over cheese; top with remaining 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese. Top with breadcrumbs if desired.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly.