Devouring a delicious slice of this rustic tomato tart is a great way to start your day. But don’t take our word for it...bake one and let your taste buds do the talking. The combination of sliced tomatoes, fresh herbs and Sargento® Shredded 6 Cheese Italian Cheese is proof that great tasting meals start with cheese fresh off the block.
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust (half of typical package)
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Sargento® Shredded 6 Cheese Italian, divided
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 2 large or 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 cup assorted garden herbs roughly chopped, including basil, oregano, parsley, chives or thyme.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Roll dough flat and put into a round 9-inch fluted tart pan or 14 x 4-inch rectangular fluted tart pan. Dough should come to top of fluted lip. Freeze for 1/2 hour or overnight.
- Bake pie crust for 15 minutes. Sprinkle 1-1/2 cups cheese in bottom of pie crust and bake for 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Turn oven broiler on.
- Spoon sauce into bottom of pie crust. Layer tomato slices artfully over red sauce and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add remaining 1/2 cup cheese and broil until melted and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve.