These delectable muffins featuring Sargento® Mild Cheddar Cheese are the perfect accompaniment to soups—especially chili. They are simple to make and a delight to eat. Pack the leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted or corn oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese - Fine Cut
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. minced rinsed and drained canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce*
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in cheese. Add buttermilk, eggs and butter and chilies; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter into 12 paper-lined muffin cups. ( about 1/3 cup batter for each).
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven 16 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer muffin pan to a wire rack; let stand 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan; serve warm or at room temperature.