A soothing weeknight soup simply made with vegetables, poached eggs and gooey Sargento® Shredded 4 State Cheddar® Cheese. Serve with a squeeze of lime.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus additional for serving
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 3 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces, both green and white parts
- 4 large ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoons ground achiote
- 1 teaspoon spicy smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cilantro stems, leaves reserved
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- The juice of one fresh lime
- 4 eggs
- 4-3/4” slices sourdough bread, toasted torn into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Sargento® Shredded® 4 State Cheddar Cheese
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and scallions. Cook stirring constantly until softened and translucent (approximately 4 minutes.) Add tomatoes, achiote, paprika, salt and cilantro stems; stir and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in stock and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Right before serving, add the eggs, one by one, to poach and cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring now and then so that the eggs set evenly.
- Right before serving, remove the cilantro stems and discard. Divide bread and cheese between the bowls. Ladle hot soup into each bowl, making sure each serving gets an egg.
- Drizzle with olive oil to taste and garnish with reserved cilantro leaves and enjoy.