Red ChilaquilesPrep Time: 15 MIN | Cook Time: 40 MIN | Servings: | Calories:
<p>Chilaquiles are a traditional Mexican dish made with fried tortillas drenched in red or green sauce. They are usually topped with cheese and a fried egg as a breakfast meal but other times, they are topped with chicken, pork or beef to be enjoyed any time of the day.</p>
- 10 corn tortillas, sliced in triangles (can also use tortilla chips)
- vegetable oil for frying
- 6 dried guajillo peppers, cleaned, deseeded and stems removed
- 2 dried arbol peppers, cleaned, deseeded and stems removed
- 3 large tomatillos, husked
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 2 large garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon whole cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 3 sprigs epazote
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Sargento® Reserve Series™ Shredded Aged Italian Blend Natural Cheese (or any other Sargento® shredded cheese)
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- fried eggs for serving
- Heat approximately 1 inch vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add tortilla triangles and fry evenly until crispy and golden; approximately 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. If using tortilla chips, skip this step.
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil over medium heat. Add dried guajillo and dried arbol peppers to water; after 2 minutes add tomatillos. When tomatillos have darkened in color, remove them from boiling water, about 5 minutes. Turn heat off and let peppers soak for 5 more minutes.
- Place hydrated peppers and 1 cup broth in blender. Blend until smooth. Run blended mixture through a mesh sieve and set aside.
- Rinse blender container. Add 1 cup broth, garlic cloves, cumin, oregano and tomatillos. Blend until smooth.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a large sauté pan over medium low heat. Add tomatillo mixture and cook, stirring frequently for 8 minutes. Stir in red sauce, remaining broth, epazote and salt. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove epazote with tongs and discard.
- Fold in fried tortilla triangles (or chips), coating evenly with sauce. Transfer to a serving plate. Top with Sargento® Reserve Series™ Shredded Aged Italian Blend Natural Cheese and green onion. Serve with a fried egg.
There are currently no reviews or comments.