Decadent burgers are found on menus all across the country. Now vegetarians can have a decadent burger to call their own. This version combines the flavors of black bean burgers with Sargento® Mild Cheddar Cheese Slices, fried green tomato, a fried egg, microgreens and a creamy beet hummus. Enjoy!
- 1 small cooked beet, peeled
- ½ cup prepared hummus
- 4 slices green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ tsp. Mexican Tajin Seasoning
- 4 ea. prepared vegetarian black bean burgers
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 med. eggs
- ½ cup microgreens
- 8 slices Sargento® Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 4 ea. pretzel buns, sliced, toasted
- For Beet Hummus: Place beet in a food processor and process for 20 seconds or until smooth, scraping down sides after 10 seconds. Add prepared hummus and pulse 3-4 times until well blended. Transfer to a container and refrigerate until ready to assemble burgers.
- For fried green tomatoes: Pour egg into a shallow bowl or dish. Combine panic, cornmeal and tan seasoning in another shallow dish. Dip 1 tomato slice in beaten egg, then transfer to panic mixture. Coat both sides. Repeat with remaining tomato slices. Fry breaded tomato slices in oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Turn and fry an additional 1-2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and keep warm until ready to assemble burgers.
- For Black Bean Burgers: Grill burgers on grill over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side or until heated through. Top each burger with 2 slices Sargento Mild Cheddar Cheese. Keep warm until ready to assemble. While burgers are cooking, toast buns on grill until lightly browned. Set aside.
- For Fried Eggs: In a small non-stick skillet, fry eggs in a tablespoon of butter over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until white is cooked through, but yolks are still soft. Transfer to a large plate, and keep warm until ready to assemble.
- Transfer burgers to bun bottoms. Top each burger with a fried green tomato, a fried egg and micro greens. Spread prepared beet hummus on cut side of each toasted bun top. Place on top of burgers. Serve with sweet potato chips and pepper rings.