Surprise your guests and even yourself with this broiler-fryer chicken stuffed with Sargento® Shredded Taco Cheese just under the skin and rubbed with taco seasoning mix with a filling made of more cheese, breadcrumbs, rice, sour cream and chilies. If that isn't enough flavor in one dish, the chicken is also glazed in a hot salsa and apple jelly for supreme Southwestern taste.
- 1 whole (3-1/2 lbs.) broiler-fryer chicken
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Taco Cheese
- 1 pkg. (1.25 oz.) taco seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain white and wild rice or long grain rice
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup hot salsa
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Loosen skin of chicken from breast and thighs with fingertips taking care not to puncture skin. Stuff 1 cup cheese under skin, spreading evenly. Combine taco seasoning mix and oil in a small bowl. Brush oil evenly over surface of chicken. Place chicken on rack in shallow baking pan.
- Combine rice, bread crumbs, sour cream, chilies and remaining 1/2 cup cheese in small bowl. Spoon stuffing into cavity of chicken. Loosely cover chicken with foil. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 1 hour.
- Combine salsa and jelly in small saucepan; stir over medium heat until jelly melts. Brush one-third of jelly glaze over chicken; continue to bake uncovered 30 minutes, brushing twice with remaining glaze during cooking time. Remove stuffing from chicken and serve with sliced chicken. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.