This refreshingly light Mexican-inspired soup has a rich chicken broth full of sautéed onions and garlic poured onto hand-fried tortilla crisps. Top with a serving of Sargento® Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese for authentic south-of-the-border flavor.
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Fry tortilla strips in 1/2 cup hot oil in medium skillet until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic in 2 teaspoons oil in large saucepan over medium heat, 5 minutes or until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Place reserved tortilla strips in 4 soup bowls. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with cheese. Top with cilantro, if desired.