Cheesy, blended butternut squash and Granny Smith apple soup served in pretzel roll bowls stars the robust flavor of Sargento® 4 State Cheddar. A sweet, savory garnish adds the perfect finishing touch to this elegantly fun lunch entrée.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh apple cider
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup half & half
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Sargento® Shredded 4 State Cheddar® Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 pretzel mini rolls, tops removed and hollowed out
- 1/4 cup diced gala or honeycrisp apple
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) Sargento® Shredded 4 State Cheddar® Cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Add onion and apple. Cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add apple cider. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until reduced to a glaze.
- Add squash and chicken broth. Cook covered for about 30 minutes or until squash is very tender.
- Transfer soup in batches to blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan.
- Stir in cream and cheese. Continue stirring until cheese has completely melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve: in a medium size bowl, combine garnish ingredients. Pour hot soup into hollowed out pretzel rolls. Top each with a teaspoon of garnish mixture and serve.