- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 recipe Ricotta Filling
- 1 recipe Whipped Cream Frosting
- Fresh berries or candied cherries, for garnish
- =Ricotta Filling:
- 2 cups (15 oz.) Sargento® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- =Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Beat eggs and sugar on medium speed in bowl with an electric mixer 5 minutes or until thick. Gently fold in flour and butter; pour into greased and floured 8-inch round cake pan. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 40 minutes or until cake feels firm when touched in center. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- To make Ricotta Filling: Beat Ricotta cheese, sugar and vanilla on medium speed in bowl with electric mixer 3 minutes. Fold in whipped cream and chocolate chips.
- To make Whipped Cream Frosting: Beat cream on high speed in bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla.
- Cut cake in half horizontally using sharp serrated knife. Cut each layer in half again horizontally. Place 1 layer on serving platter; spread with one-third Ricotta filling. Repeat procedure, ending with cake layer. No sooner than 6 hours before serving, frost sides and top of cake with all but 1 cup frosting. Decorate with remaining frosting, chopped chocolate and fruit. Refrigerate until serving time.