Fisherman's Stew of Boston
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, pared and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) stewed tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 1 bottle (8 oz.) clam juice
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1-1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb. firm white-fleshed fish, such as halibut, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 oz. bay scallops
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- Heat oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add carrots, celery and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stewed tomatoes, clam juice, tomato paste, thyme, hot pepper sauce and bay leaf. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in fish and scallops, cover. Return to a simmer. Cook on low heat 10 minutes or until fish is opaque. Discard bay leaf. Ladle into shallow soup bowls. Top each serving with 1/4 cup cheese.