Montanara (Fried Pizza)
A little bit country. a little bit of comfort food. Bring home heartland when you top this rustic-style pizza with Sargento Chef Blends® Shredded 4 Cheese Pizzeria.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves: 4
- 1 lb. pizza dough (thawed if frozen)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- Optional toppings: thinly sliced pepperoni, cooked crumbled Italian sausage, halved pitted kalamata olives, drained sun-dried tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 4 Cheese Pizzeria
- Optional garnishes: crushed red pepper flakes, sliced or chopped fresh basil
Let pizza dough stand on a floured surface 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet or electric skillet over moderate heat until oil registers 350°F on thermometer or dial of electric skillet.
Roll out and stretch dough with floured hands, pressing on work surface, to form a 10-inch round (don't worry if it is irregularly shaped). Fry dough, turning once, until golden brown and slightly puffed, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. (Fried dough can stand at room temperature up to 1 hour before topping and baking.)
Spread pizza sauce over fried dough; top as desired. Sprinkle cheese evenly over pizza. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven 12 to 14 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into wedges; garnish as desired.
- For a brunch, side stretch walnut-size pieces of dough into palm size, irregular rounds and fry as directed. Serve with butter and jam or cinnamon-sugar.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 28.1g
Saturated Fat 8.0g
Trans Fat 12.8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.3g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Vitamin A 10RE
Vitamin C 2mg