- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves: 8
- 2 bags (10 oz. each) baby spinach leaves
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots or chopped sweet onion
- 2 packages (8 oz. each) sliced baby bella (crimini) or button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1-7/8 cups (7.5 oz.) Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 4 State Cheddar™ Cheese, divided
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Stir in all of spinach leaves; cook 1 to 2 minutes or just until spinach wilts. Transfer to a colander to drain and cool.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms give up their liquid and liquid evaporates. Stir in wine; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in half-and-half, salt, pepper and nutmeg. With hands, squeeze out excess water from drained spinach; coarsely chop. Stir into egg mixture. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese and the mushroom mixture; transfer to lightly greased 9 x 9-inch baking dish. (At this point casserole may stand at room temperature up to 2 hours before baking. Or, cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before baking.)
Bake in a preheated 375°F oven 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; let stand 5 minutes before serving to melt cheese.
- Substitute two 10 oz. packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry. Omit spinach cooking and chopping steps.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 17.5g
Saturated Fat 6.2g
Trans Fat 5.7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Vitamin A 68RE
Vitamin C 13mg