- Prep Time: 18 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 1/2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 (7 oz.) pkg. (2 cups) elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, as desired
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 4 State Cheddar™ Cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, preferably from egg bread
Soak mushrooms in boiling water to cover; let stand until softened, about 15 minutes. Drain, chop and set aside. Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions.
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and cayenne pepper; cook and stir 1 minute. Add milk; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Stir in drained macaroni and reserved mushrooms.
Pour into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small bowl; add breadcrumbs and toss well. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and crumbs are golden brown.
- To enhance woodsy mushroom flavor even more, drizzle 1/2 tsp. white truffle oil over each serving. Make fresh breadcrumbs by pulsing torn sliced bread in blender.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 24.1g
Saturated Fat 13.8g
Trans Fat 5.8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Vitamin A 84RE
Vitamin C 0mg