Potato & Cheddar Soup with Peppered Cheese Toasts
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves:4
- 1 Tbsp. butter or oil
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (2 large) russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 (14 oz.) can chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1-3/4 cups (7 oz.) Sargento® Traditional Cut Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- 8 (1/2-inch) slices French bread baguette
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 to 14 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Transfer 1 cup of the mixture to a blender or food processor; pureé until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in milk; heat over medium heat until hot (do not boil). Season to taste with salt.
Meanwhile, place bread on a foil-lined baking sheet. Toast lightly in a preheated 400°F toaster oven or oven 5 minutes. Turn toasts over; top with 1/2 cup of the cheese and pepper. Continue to bake 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Ladle soup into four bowls; top with remaining cheese and bacon, if desired. Serve with cheese toasts.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 23.0g
Saturated Fat 12.4g
Trans Fat 6.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.7g
Dietary Fiber 6g
Vitamin A 59RE
Vitamin C 12mg