- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves: 8
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32 oz.) pkg. reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 5 cups (28 oz.) frozen corn kernels
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. each: salt, freshly ground black pepper and dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/2 cups (10 oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Wisconsin Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- Optional garnishes: additional cheese, croutons, finely diced ham, hot pepper sauce and/or unsweetened whipped cream mixed with Dijon mustard and chopped fresh herbs
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 10 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes.
Add broth, corn, bay leaf, salt, pepper and thyme leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
Discard bay leaf. Transfer mixture 2 cups at a time to a blender container. Remove round plastic disc from lid; close lid and cover opening with a thick kitchen towel or pot holder. Hold towel over lid while blending mixture on high speed until mixture is pureed. Transfer mixture to a saucepan. Repeat with remaining soup mixture.
Add cream to soup; bring to a boil. Stir in cheese; turn off heat and stir until cheese is melted. Taste and adjust seasonings. Ladle soup into shallow bowls; garnish as desired.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 19.8g
Saturated Fat 11.0g
Trans Fat 5.5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1g
Dietary Fiber 5g
Vitamin A 120RE
Vitamin C 23mg