- Prep Time: None minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: Serves: 10
- 1 large (3 lb.) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3-1/2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh sage leaves, divided
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. Toasted Spice Rub*, divided (optional)
- 2 tsp. salt, preferably finely ground gray salt
- 1 pkg. (16 oz.) lasagna noodles
- 2 cups (15 oz.) Sargento® Whole Milk or Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. nutmeg, preferably freshly grated, divided
- 6 cups (1-1/2 lbs.) Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian, divided
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 8 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 6 Tbsp. flour
Toss squash with olive oil, 1-1/2 tablespoons sage, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon spice rub; spread in a single layer on a foil-lined 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan. Bake in preheated 400°F oven until tender, about 50 minutes, stirring at least once. Transfer to a food processor; process until smooth.
Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles in salted water according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water and arrange in a single layer on wax paper.
Combine Ricotta cheese, eggs and 1 teaspoon nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese; set aside.
For sauce, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and remaining 2 tablespoons sage; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add flour, cook and stir until well combined. Whisk in milk and remaining spice rub and salt; bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Reduce heat; simmer sauce 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, whisking frequently.
Stir pureed squash into Ricotta cheese mixture. Spread evenly over lasagna noodles, leaving a 1/2-inch border at one short end of each noodle (about 1/4 cup mixture per noodle). Sprinkle 2-1/2 cups shredded cheese over all (2 tablespoons per noodle). Roll up each noodle, starting at the end without the border. Place rolls seam-side down in two buttered 13 x 9-inch glass baking dishes. Pour sauce evenly over rolls; top with remaining 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese.**
Bake at 375°F, uncovered, 50 to 55 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and sauce is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving so sauce thickens.
- * The Toasted Spice Rub can be purchased from NapaStyle.com. As an alternative, you can prepare the rub yourself:
- 1/4 cup fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 1-1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) pure California chili powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Toast the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in a small, heavy pan over medium heat. When the fennel turns light brown, work quickly. Turn on the exhaust fan, add the red pepper flakes, and toss, toss, toss, always under the fan. Immediately turn the spice mixture out onto a plate to cool. Put in a blender with the chili powder, salt, and cinnamon and blend until the spices are evenly ground. If you have a small spice mill or a coffee grinder dedicated to grinding spices, grind only the fennel, coriander, pepper, and chili flakes. Pour into a bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients.
- Makes about 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 39.2g
Saturated Fat 21.5g
Trans Fat 11.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.8g
Dietary Fiber 4g
Vitamin A 1244RE
Vitamin C 29mg