Acorn Squash Soup with Cheese Crostini
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves: 4
- 2 large (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lbs. each) acorn squash
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
- 4 slices Italian or sourdough bread (3 inches in diameter), toasted
- 4 slices Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Swiss Cheese
Place whole squash on paper towel in microwave oven; cook on HIGH 5 minutes. Turn over; continue cooking 4 minutes more or until squash is barely tender when pierced with a knife. Let stand 5 minutes.
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 8 minutes or until onion is soft, stirring occasionally. Cut squash in half; scoop out and discard seeds and membrane. Keeping squash shell intact, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4-inch thick shell. Add squash pulp to onion mixture; cook 1 minute. Add chicken broth, nutmeg and, if desired, cayenne pepper and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until squash is very tender, stirring occasionally.
Transfer squash mixture to food processor or blender; process until smooth. Reheat soup until very hot. Arrange squash shells, cut sides up, in ovenproof bowls; place bowls on baking sheet; fill with hot soup. Top with toast and cheese. Place under preheated broiler 5 inches from heat; broil 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Insted of microwaving squash, you can cut each in half from stem to tip. Remove seeds with a spoon. Wrap each half individually in foil. Place on baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F about 45 minutes or until tender. Proceed with recipe as described above.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 14.8g
Saturated Fat 7.9g
Trans Fat 3.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
Dietary Fiber 9g
Vitamin A 122RE
Vitamin C 20mg